PrairieTide
Monday, December 13, 2004
 

I Think I'm Catching Something


The holiday knitting marathon continues apace. Last night I made some good progress, and I think I'll be able to make my deadline of mailing everything off by this Friday. I know, I know, you want a clue about who's going to get the mystery hand-knit present. Well, sorry! I'm not giving away any more hints, tips, winks, or nudges. You'll just have to see what Santa lives in your stocking on Christmas morning.

A few days back while I was talking to my folks on the phone, I asked my 16-year-old sister what she'd like for Christmas. At first, she was kinda coy, "Oh, you don't have to give me anything!" Then, a few minutes later, she got back on the phone, and this time she was full of ideas about gifts she'd like. CDs, hair baubles, glitter fingernail polish--basic girl stuff.

One idea she had for a gift was the "Boys Don't Cry" CD from The Cure. This one threw me. I mean, The Cure were popular way back in the late 80's when I was a 16-year-old. For my readers who are unfamiliar with this band (that would be you Mom!), The Cure is famous for their "why me?" attitude and general poutiness. Here's some lyrics from their song "Watching Me Fall":

i've been watching me fall for it seems like years
watching me grow small, i watch me disappear
slipping out my ordinary world, out my ordinary eyes
yeah slipping out the ordinary me into someone else's life
into someone else's life...

Oh, the humanity! Come to find out, The Cure have gotten a new following among today's younger set. Maybe their sob-story songs carry the same resonance as they did back in the day, or maybe they echo the insecurities and fears of teenage life. Or maybe whining never goes out of style.

Feeling nostalgia for those halcyon days of the 80's? Check out all the lyrics to all The Cure songs ever written here.
|

<< Home

Counter

Powered by Blogger