PrairieTide
Sunday, May 22, 2005
 
Where's My Light Saber?

When I was about six years old, I had this little pink diary that locked with a clasp. I wrote my very first entry into the diary after we saw "Star Wars" movie at the drive in theater. Trying my very best to be just like Marsha Brady, I wrote, "We saw Star Wars last night. It was groovy." That's right, like every kid growing up in the 70's, I wanted to move to a galaxy long, long ago and far, far away. Groovy.

Saturday, Randy and I got out of work a little early so we could get to the Multiplex to watch the latest Star Wars flick before the crowds. Once we got into the theater, we moved our seats twice to make sure we were in the best spot in the place. We snuck in two types of M&Ms, the Jedi mix (milk chocolate in earth-tone colors) and the Darth mix (dark chocolate in moody black and burgandy). I got figdety when the film did not start at the top of the hour.

Then the lights dimmed. The same music. The same theme. The same "Star Wars" logo.

Sci fi is one of Randy and my favorite interests. It's something we enjoy together. We've watched all the Star Trek movies and series religiously (though I must admit I'm relieved "Enterprise" has kicked the bucket). We've followed "Babylon 5" and new "Interstar Galactica" series. Randy does most of the sci fi reading in this family, and his bookshelf is stuff with fat pulp paperbacks. What's more, just in the last three weeks, we've gone to the movie theater to see the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallaxy", a theatrical viewing of the last two episodes of "Star Trek: Enterprise", and now "Star Wars". So, you can call us nerds. We're OK with that.

That final scene in the new "Star Wars" movie, with the familiar music and the desert sunset with two suns... I admit it...I teared up a bit. Frankly, I was just so relieved that this final installment in the "Star Wars" cycle was good, I got a little emotional. Whew.

On our way home from the movie, I was so caught up in the whole Star Wars thing that I insisted that we cross over to the dark side and stop by WalMart on the way home. (..."wretched pit of scum and villany"...) We purchased the DVDs for the first three movies (or the last three movies, whatever). We've spent the rest of the weekend watching the old movies again. Some folks say that the new movies and the old movies don't really go together. Actually, watching them together all at once, I see a lot more connections between the old favorites and the new movie. And now that we know all about Darth Vadar's twisted past, his familiar profile is all the more evil and menacing.

May the Force...


|

<< Home

Counter

Powered by Blogger