PrairieTide
Friday, June 24, 2005
 
Victor's Garden

While we're on the topic of dads, I need to pay tribute to Victor, my father-in-law. He has a small garden behind his West Peoria home. In his small space, Victor grows an amazing crop of tomatos and bush beans every year, and his flower garden always impresses. Victor likes flowers that reseed themselves, so every year his flowers looks spontaneous, improvisational even.

A generous gardener, Victor has given me lots of plants and cuttings (some of which I've managed to keep alive). He's given me carefully-labeled, little plastic bags full of seeds he collects each year. Best of all, this year he gave me a cutting from a purple Rose of Sharon bush that grows through his side fence. It's a uniquely pretty Rose of Sharon, and now a little piece of it is growing in my garden.
|

<< Home

Counter

Powered by Blogger